Monday, June 1, 2009

Requiem for a C Cup

Even an avowed television-hater needs a little escapism once in a while. So, while waiting for the most recent 24 to come out on DVD, I talked an old friend into lending me the first few seasons of Seinfeld. I missed a lot of them in the 90s, having been TV-free for much of my adult life. But have managed to catch some of the classics over the years. Among those is the episode (watched again last night) where Jerry enlists Elaine in an attempt to find out if his love interest’s perfect tits are fake (“They’re real and they’re spectacular”).

I was at one time the proud possessor of a pair of C cups so perfect that people used to ask me if they were real. After nursing two kids, I’m left with a couple of less than perky A’s. It seems that once you’ve breastfed a couple of people for months/years, the milk flow stretches the skin and connective tissues in the breasts, causing them to change shape and—in some cases—shrink. The mother’s age, apparently, can be a contributing factor. (Hmmm…does this mean that f I hadn’t waited til my mid-30s to have kids my boobs would have sprung right back to their former glory?) Weight loss, of course, also comes into play. In fact, it’s been a while since I’ve been this thin (still getting plenty of exercise chasing after Henry). However, there have been plenty of periods in my life where I’ve been pretty skinny and still maintained some respectable cleavage. No longer: it appears they’re gone for good, and I’m not planning on gaining 20 pounds to get them back.

On the upside, I have all but abandoned the underwire. I’m pretty much entirely a sports bra/camisole girl now. I’m even more enthusiastic about this after reading about a suggested link between underwire bras and breast cancer.

I’ve been checking out a few message boards on the subject, and apparently, post-nursing breast shrinkage inspires some women to get implants. One chick on a message board said she had to get fake ones because she couldn’t handle not having other women stare enviously at her chest all then time. Plastic surgery, however, is not really up my alley. Looks like I’ll be aging gracefully, saggy tits and all.

2 comments:

Massie Straton said...

Don't feel bad Jan, I've never been well endowed in the boob department either.

English Teacher X said...

From my experience girls with smallish breasts obviously don't see that same change in their breasts after having kids that girls with larger breast do.