Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Last Straw

On the subject of bêtes noires, allow me to share another: the loathsome Capri Sun “juice” boxes. This of course is a vile mixture of water, high fructose corn syrup and a teeeeeny little bit of juice in an appealing foil pouch with a cute little straw.

I recently joined a playgroup for Coco through a local housewives confederation I got involved with some time ago in an effort to “branch out” (or something). This week’s playdate was hosted by a very nice woman with a nice house (and pool) in a sprawling subdivision. We were having a fine time, and the snacks were perfect (whole wheat pretzels) but in the icebox: the dreaded corn syrup cocktail. I have participated in various playgroups/meetups since Hank’s toddlerhood and am appalled at how often these things show up. I always cringe when one of the moms whips out the foil pack. Like our fabulous first lady, I am, of course, an avowed corn syrup repudiator. But when faced with this kind of situation, I usually wimp out and let the boy have one just to avoid a scene. I figure that, at almost 4, a little bit of HFCS won’t kill him, but I just can’t fathom giving one of these to a toddler. These kids aren’t even two for crying out loud. Coco, fortunately, has not yet been corrupted (I don’t even really give her regular old watered down juice yet) and didn’t know what she was missing.

Came across something from the Center for Science and the Public Interest about its lawsuit that forced Kraft to abandon the phrase “all natural” on the CS label. CSPI charged that deceptive labeling might cause people to think the darn things are actually made with juice. Kraft, I should note, are also the purveyors of Lunchables another disgusting processed food medley. They, of course, market these products together—just to make sure your kid gets his daily requirement of chemicals and sugar at one sitting. Do people not know this stuff is bad for you? Do they not care? I’m trying to fit in around here but sometimes I’m ready to throw in the towel.

2 comments:

Massie Straton said...

I agree with you. I gave up the battle on the juice boxesa few years ago but the lunchables are repulsive. You would not believe how many students bring those things in every day. The packaging is completely wasteful, not to mention the processed, hormone- pumped meat in them is pretty much scraps off of the slaughterhouse floor from factory farms.

English Teacher X said...

My sister-in-law's usual excuse is that the kids won't eat / drink anything else.

My brother says he feels like little kids are like goats, and can pretty much eat and drink anything they like. It's middle-aged people who need to watch what they eat.