Friday, June 26, 2009

Souvenirs, souvenirs

Speaking of toxic cocktails, my last post brought to mind a drink I was acquainted with in New Orleans called a Wild Night at the Capri Motel. They poured that one at Nick’s Bar on Tulane Avenue (named for the motel next door). No idea what was in it, but it had these crazy strata of different colored alcohols. Pretty tasty as I (vaguely) recall. I’m sure one of those would send me right over the edge these days. My habits down there were a far cry from my current abstemious lifestyle. But everyone knows the rules are different in New Orleans.

Was racking my brain to remember the name of the bar and came across someone's blog (via Google), which had an archived report from 2006 on the demise of Nick’s.

It’s been 15 years since I left New Orleans, ten since I visited. My New Orleans nostalgia comes and goes in waves. A lot of it is focused on various bars/clubs I frequented: the Maple Leaf, Bon Temps Roule, the old Charity’s, Café Brazil etc. But I always did love the still, peaceful side of the city, too. I have lovely memories of Alvina’s yoga studio on Oak Street. I used to run there (along the streetcar tracks) from my place on lower Magazine, do an hour of yoga and run home. Seems like a million years ago. I don’t have any idea what it’s like there now, and I hardly know anyone who still lives there. I did get a call out of the blue the other day from an old boyfriend, an NO native who is still hanging in there. He’s apparently in the Catskills with his wife and daughter and they’re going to spend a night here at the funny farm on return trip. Looking forward to reconnecting and getting the scoop on the post Katrina scene…

No comments: