Sunday, February 7, 2010

Saints and Snowflakes

Coping with the aftermath of Snowpocalypse here at the funny farm. It was pretty hairy there for a while but the lights stayed on, and now we’ve got three feet of snow. I know that some of my Midwest/international readership fails to understand what all the fuss is about. But seriously, I’ve lived in the mid-Atlantic for most of my adult life and have never seen a snow situation quite on this level. A few have come close (we seem to get a couple of big ones every decade or so). But this one really takes the cake. It’s too deep to really enjoy at this point. Hank’s been enjoying jumping off the porch into the fluff, and he and his Papa are digging a network of tunnels next to the house. But there hasn’t been any sledding or snowballing going on since it’s too deep to walk around in. In times like this, I really wish we had a neighborhood. I’ve been talking to my sis in DC who seems to be having a blast hanging out with the neighbors and enjoying some good old fashioned snowstorm camaraderie. Meanwhile, out here in the sticks, we’re even more isolated than usual (not that the old man isn’t good company). I’ve been fantasizing about buying a pair of cross country skis and shooshing into town…

Anyway, it’s kinda gorgeous but we are totally stuck. Our neighbor has yet to appear with his magical Bobcat so we are not going anywhere (not that we really have anywhere to go). I had a fabulous weekend planned (yoga happy hour w/Jess, local theater w/ the Ever Lovin’ and a superbowl party with friends). Everything’s been canned of course. I’m a little disappointed not to be able to watch the game (as some of you may recall, we don’t have TV reception). I’m not much of a football fan, but as a former New Orleanian, I’m sorry I won’t get to watch the Saints take it all the way. I may be snowbound in Lovetown but (at least for tonight) my heart’s in the Big Easy.

No comments: