Friday, February 19, 2010

The Big Thaw

Well, the meringue on the cupcake that is Lovetown is slowly melting. There are finally blue skies and patches of grass in view (though we still have 2+ feet in places). I know the dirt is drinking it up, and I’m dreaming of the amazing garden we’ll have in a few short months (mmm kale…). It’s a good thing because I’m pretty sure the shades of gray and white have been driving us insane. In an effort to break the monotony, big daddy climbed out on the snow-covered roof and put up a little digital antenna so I can watch some of the eternally unsettling (but fascinating) men’s figure skating and all the other wild action in Vancouver. Our TV free days are now (at least temporarily) over and I’m suffering from Olympic narcolepsy which I’ve been self medicating with drastic overcaffeination.

Have managed a couple of much needed escapes from the ice planet this week: a trip into DC to see my sis and her girls on prez day and a fun mini-campout with my friend Carla and her little muffin (and Coco’s BFF) Isabel in a neighboring village. Hank and Papa had taken my vehicle (and my keys) to dig out the grandparents, so the girls came to pick up Co and me in their Subaru. We adore them both (Co occasionally likes to pretend that Carla is her real mother). Anyway, a morning playdate turned into an all day adventure when, having been driven home for naptime, I realized I had locked myself out of the house. We scooted back to Carla’s, put Isabel down for a nap (Co was too excited about the situation to sleep), loaded up the woodstove and opened a bottle of wine (it was after 5 in Paris…). Soooo groovy. Coco was an angel, thrilled to be able to play unimpeded with her friend’s toys. The mamas kicked back and had some meaningful conversation with PBS in the background.

Always nice to have a heart to heart with another thinking person who sometimes feels her brain is turning to mush. And Carla’s my soul sister in a lot of ways. She’s another Blue Ridge native who fled to city life, only to return last year with husband and daughter looking for the roots of home. I like that she talks to her child and mine like the real human beings that they are. I like that she walks the line between crunchy and conventional in the same way I do. I like that she’s a loving but imperfect mother who is devoted to her child but up front about needing space for herself. And that she’s trying to figure out what to do next. Who knows what’s in store for us, but we’re making big plans for the best summer ever…

No comments: