Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Since Nothing Remotely Interesting Is Going On Around Here

I’ll take this opportunity to indulge in a little vicarious blogging and report on the adventures of a few old friends. Lets see…Kathy and Neal are off to Buenos Aires for a wedding. This is my oldest friend and her husband, a couple of Baltimore-based artists/musicians and owners of a gorgeous rowhouse in Charm City. Every time I check out their photos on Flickr, they are traveling, showing off some of their fabulous work, or hosting/attending a fabulous dinner party with their extensive network of hipster friends. They always look like they’re having so much fun. How do they do it, I ask myself. Oh that’s right: no kids. They are in their mid/late 30s, child free by choice and, apparently, loving it. Let’s face it—having kids can be a big old drag. I mean, the joys are indescribable, but it’s certainly not for everyone. Have a glass of malbec for me, guys and bring me back some leather.

And…it’s official (it’s on facebook so it must be): my inadvertent matchmaking is going to produce yet another human being. Sara and John in Seattle are expecting baby #2 this summer. John is a childhood pal (Kathy’s big brother), and Sara briefly went to college with me before she blew off New Orleans and decamped to the west coast. She also let me rock her couch for several months when I first moved to New York. They met at my wedding in 03 (Christian busted ‘em smooching during the reception). After a few months of long distance romance, brave Johnny took a chance and up and moved across the country to the Emerald City. They got married in 05 and had little cutie pie Ginger in 07. I’m predicting a male Leo, just to keep them on their toes.

And finally, my best NYC girlfriend Manon is gearing up for blushing bridehood…at 50. After 30+ years of ups and downs, lots of losers and a few good ones who just got away, she finally met a hot (I’ve seen pictures) 60 year old guy who popped the question over Valentine’s weekend. She’s definitely the foxiest boomer I know…hope he deserves her.

No comments: