Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pass the Pancakes

Mardi gras in exurbia…it’s just not the same.

In the early 90s, I would have been following Zulu and Rex down Saint Charles after a week of nonstop partying. Today it was free pancakes at IHOP with and old friend (and the ever present Coco). I had already promised Henry pancakes for supper in honor of Shrove Tuesday so wound up having them twice. This reminds me of something I read in a Boris Akunin novel about pancake week in Russia, which apparently features blini, bonfires, performing bears and group fistfights (??). Must get around to checking that out one of these days.

I checked Wikipedia and discovered that pancakes (or some kind of doughnuts or pastry depending on where you are) became traditional foods for mardi gras as a way for folks to use up rich/fatty ingredients before Lent. This was back when people routinely gave up meat, dairy and eggs during the 40 day fast.

I do like vegetables and I like the idea of simplifying, but not sure I could manage the full on Lenten fast. I was considering giving up chocolate or alcohol (which I’ve almost given up anyway) until Christian had a better idea: whereas the first months of 2009 have been rough in many respects and, well, let’s just say that romance has not been on the front burner, we’ve decided to give up celibacy for Lent.

1 comment:

English Teacher X said...

You can Netflix the film THE BARBER OF SIBERIA, a joint Russian / French production from 2000, in which a scene is set at a Maselneetsa celebration (circa 1880 or so) and you can see the bears, the vodka, the fistfighting and everything.

Russians love the film, but I found it a bit meh; it's about a kind-hearted Russian boy who falls for a greedy, mercenary, self-centered American woman with a secret.

Unlikely scenario; usually it's the other way around, of course.