Monday, March 30, 2009

The Right Weather for No Pants

An annoying head cold and some uncharacteristic insomnia have me even more muddled than usual lately, but the first days of spring have Hank in rare form. He picked up a cute blonde at the library this afternoon. Kept following her around with a dinosaur book he’d picked out. “I was trying to show her what a meat eater looks like,” he told me later. Mama was right on as wingman--struck up a conversation with her mom and got her number. Future meet-up at the playground in the offing….

Yesterday, during a lull in the weekend’s blustery weather, he ran outside to take a leak in the grass and wound up with wet overalls.
“That’s just the way pee is,” he announced as he stomped back in, banging the screen door and leaving the overalls on the porch. “It’s okay. It’s the right weather for no pants…Can I let my bum get a little fresh air?” The glorious, freewheeling life of a country kid. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

No comments: