Thursday, September 4, 2008

Milestones

We’ve got Day 1 of preschool under our belts and Henry’s well on his way to a reputation as a troublemaker (that would be Christian’s genetic legacy of course). He apparently ran away from the teacher when it was time to go back inside after playground time. She had to chase him down upon which he started kicking her.

When I came to pick him up, there was a mega (blood sugar related?) meltdown (he was apparently too busy to eat his snack). He refused to put away the toys he had taken out and didn’t want to walk out with me. It soon devolved into kicking and screaming on the floor. Let’s just say that transitions are a bitch these days.
“Is this typical?” asked Ms Barbara. She’s a somewhat stern-looking, schoolmarmy type, a little intimidating (though I hear she’s actually very sweet). “Um…not really,” I said hopefully. Anyway, it took me forever to get him out to the parking lot and into the car (with Coco in tow). Then, just as I had finally finished loading everybody up and was pulling out of the space, I hear those words I’ve come to relish and dread at once: I have to go potty. So, back into the community center where there were intense negotiations about which bathroom to use (upstairs vs. downstairs/ladies room vs. “family” bathroom). We finally made it home and he settled down after eating some pretzels. He was playing in the living room while I fixed lunch when I realized it was suspiciously quiet in there. I peeked in to see that he had conked out on the couch, where he remained asleep for two hours. Guess being a holy terror really takes it out of you…

It’s been a big week for Coco, too. We discovered her first tooth over the weekend (lower front). Just hoping she’ll use it judiciously! She is scooting across the floor like crazy on her belly, following Henry and grabbing everything she can get her hands on. I have gotten really lax about keeping the floor flotsam-free since Hank stopped putting stuff in his mouth. Time to get back to our rigorous inspection/ cleaning routine (yeah right). I have vowed to start vacuuming once in a while, though. In other news, we had to lower the crib all the way down as our girl has started to pull up to standing. And finally (sniff), we got rid of the bucket carseat. As much as I love having a kid with a handle, the time had come. The road to toddlerhood begins…

No comments: