Tuesday, November 10, 2009

From Brussels with Love

Took the kids to see my in-laws the other day, and we wound up going home with a bunch of frozen foods, including a bag of Brussels sprouts. As you might have guessed, I don’t have much to say in favor of frozen veggies (except for peas and edamame but that’s another story). But I was tickled to read on the package that they actually came from Belgium... Anyway, I’m kind of a Brussels sprout aficionado, and those lovely green globes are one of my very favorite things about winter. They must be fresh of course. And roasted, never boiled (the sign of an affluent society according to Claude Lévi-Strauss). I roast them in the oven with olive oil and a little salt for everyday and with bacon and chestnuts for holidays. They are tender and slightly chewy with a fabulous nutty flavor and have very little in common with the sorry, mushy excuse for a vegetable that comes out of the freezer.

Because this question has come up, I’ll take this opportunity to mention that my Petits Choux handle doesn’t have anything to do with Brussels sprouts (choux de Bruxelles). It refers to my kids and translates as “little sweeties”, as in pâte à chou (puff pastry), not cabbages or Brussels sprouts which are not particularly sweet. They are however pretty darn cute.

2 comments:

English Teacher X said...

Google it -- frozen vegetables often have a a higher level of vitamins than their store-bought counterparts, because they are frozen at the height of ripeness.

Maria H said...

I'm a new lover of those little sprouts...and I agree fresh (as much as possible of course) is better - period. :)

I'm actually going to try them tonight, yes roasted, and if they are good, bring them to my In-Laws tomorrow. Surprise! DMIL will probably freak, but oh well.