Monday, November 2, 2009

Beauty is a Beast

Coco had a second-hand bee costume going on for Halloween, but I’m starting to think I should have given her a bow and arrow and called her an Amazon from Hell. She’s a big, gorgeous, rowdy toddler and is kind of turning into a playground ruffian. She’s picked up some bad practices from her brother and has started pushing other kids around in social settings. She’s clearly not trying to be mean—in fact, I’m pretty sure it’s her way of expressing her affection (she only smacks around the kids she likes).

For the most part, the parents we associate with have been pretty cool about it. She had a hilarious brawl with a little beauty named Ava at a little party we went to earlier this fall (2 toddlers battling over a five-year-old hipster’s Davy Crockett-style coonskin cap). Coco gave Ava a shove and Ava returned fire with a poke in the eye. The other mom laughed it off, the girls moved on pretty quickly, and a good time was had by all.

There was an uptight mom at the library with an expensively dressed 14-month-old (late 30s/early 40s mom; little girl with last name as first name) who seemed a little put out when Co gave her kid a friendly shove (the kid was unfazed). I have a neighbor who’s the overprotective first-time parent of a tiny, sedate, porcelain-skinned creature who, it’s hard to believe, is only a few months younger than Co (she seems like another species altogether). The mom seems nice, but I’m afraid to call her for a meetup because I’m afraid my little bruiser might break her kid.

Anyway, she really is a sweet, well-adjusted child—just a little wild at times. And I don’t want her to get a rep around town at the tender age of (not quite) two. Of course, my underlying concern is always that Coco’s aggressive behavior is going to be attributed to bad parenting. Really, I’m doing my best here. I’m on it every time something happens with stern admonishments, time outs etc. But I’m fairly sure it’s just a phase, and I don’t want to make too much of a big deal about it. Anyway, there’s really not much I can do about it except make her a prisoner in her own home (in which case the same fate would apply to me). So for now, we need to be around rough and tumble kids and laid back parents. If you find any, let me know…

1 comment:

Massie Straton said...

She can always hang with Curtis and the guys ! I would bet that she is influenced by being around Henry all of the time at home. Isn't it interesting how in general it's so widely accepted for boys to play rough and not girls.