Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Little Reality Check

I have pretty much avoided posting photos of my children on this blog. For one thing, I suppose I prefer the false sense of security on facebook. For another, showing off my cute kids is not really what this space is about for me.

However, a conversation I had with an old friend during my recent (fabulous) trip to New York has inspired me to lay this one on y’all.This friend was giving me updates on a few of his former colleagues whom I had known (through him) during my years in the big city. One friend of his, a lovely woman about my age (that would be late 30s last time I checked), married an American guy who owns a vineyard in Tuscany. I didn’t know this woman well, but enjoyed catching up with her a bit at our mutual friend’s wedding last year, after which she sent me a friend request on facebook. She doesn’t seem to get on much except to post occasional photos of her (apparently) amazing life in Italy (handsome husband, beautiful young daughter, nice vacations etc).

My friend says that while her life is undoubtedly fabulous and all, he gets the sense that she often feels isolated out there amongst the vines and has trouble connecting with other women. Hmmm….sound familiar? Now, that is not to say that Tuscany has anything in common with exurban hell. But still, it got me thinking.

After that conversation, it occurred to me that if someone I didn’t know very well were to evaluate my life based on the pictures I post on facebook, he or she would be given the impression that my life is a piece of cake. (Beautiful kids, nice scenery etc.). So, I decided to take a few pics that more accurately reflected the day-to-day situation. As in screaming child covered with snot and hummus. Eat your heart out Carla B.

1 comment:

English Teacher X said...

Good lord, you feed your kid hummus? What ever happened to PB and J?