Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NY State of Mind

It’s a blustery, Novemberish day here on the outskirts of Lovetown. I’m kind of down on country life after an all too brief weekend in NYC. Coco and I left the boys at home and headed to the big city for robust couple of days, which included a swanky wedding in midtown, a baby’s birthday party in Astoria, and a laid back Sunday morning in Caroll Gardens. I’m totally into CG where my glamorous friend Manon put us up. I didn’t get to spend enough time there when I lived in the city. I was a committed Williamsburger back then. It was already a trendy spot back at the turn of the millennium but not so insufferably, self-consciously hip as it has become. Unbelievably, I paid less than $800 a month for my unattractive but remarkably spacious 1 BR in a quiet neighborhood at the Lorimer Street stop. From what I encountered last time I visited, Wburg is a little bit over the top these days. If I could convince Christian to move to Brooklyn (yeah right), I think I’d settle in CG. It’s charming, low-key, and they have a gorgeous Trader Joe’s on Atlantic Ave. in an old bank building. Imagine being able to walk to TJs…Such a romantic notion to this frustrated exurbanite. I got all nostalgic seeing people with those pull-along grocery carts (the kind usually associated with old ladies). Oh man, I used to use mine all the time.

Manon watched the babe while I got gussied up and went into Manhattan for the wedding of a dear friend. Great to see so many acquaintances from the old days in the wine biz. Had hoped to attend with my darling spouse but extenuating circumstances made it more expedient to leave him at home. In the end, going solo turned out to be kind of pleasant. I am always so exhilarated to be able to spend some time in my own head. And how can I describe the sheer joy going to the bathroom by myself for an entire afternoon! Oh and I got to sit next to the bride’s cute twenty-something cousin who let me check out his iPhone.

Got an interesting question from a couple of fellow wedding guests: do you feel like a tourist when you visit New York now? The answer is yes and no. I definitely don’t feel like I live there anymore, and I don’t know my way around the subway system like I used to. On the other hand, when I’m in town, I spend most of my time experiencing life in neighborhoods. Henry did ask me to bring him a model of the Statue of Liberty (he had apparently seen one at show and tell). My plan was to grab one at Grand Central on my way to the wedding. But after the longest subway ride ever from Brooklyn, I was running late for the ceremony and didn’t have a minute to spare. Had I succeeded in my mission, I guess that would have placed me squarely in the tourist camp. Since I didn’t, I guess I’d prefer to call myself a “returning visitor.”

Anyway, sweet little Coco traveled like a champ and enjoyed her afternoon with Auntie Manon. Must admit, I found driving in the city a little unnerving this time. We got a little lost in Queens at one point, and again trying to get out of Brooklyn to head home (they had closed my usual ramp onto the BQE). Asking for directions, I totally felt like a tourist (but an adventurous tourist who spends her time driving around in the outer boroughs). I was once again (as I always was when I lived there) grateful for the kindness of the natives. They got me back on track and I was on my way--it was a beautiful Monday morning and I sank my teeth into a fresh poppyseed bagel as I drove over the Verrazano heading home.

No comments: