Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Even if the DJ Plays Come on Eileen?

Speaking of insecurities: I’ve got a couple of weeks to decide whether or not to go to my twentieth high school reunion. I (unfortunately) live about 20 miles from where I went to school so travel is not an issue. At issue, foremost, is whether I’m willing to spend $140 (cost of 2 tix since the ever lovin’ says he wants to go) for a lousy rubber chicken dinner with a bunch of people I didn’t like that much anyway. Even more outrageous: it’s a cash bar, so we don’t even get any bad wine for our $70! Certainly, in the big picture, $140 isn’t really so very much, but it seems like a hell of a lot to me right now (several months of swim classes for the boy for example). On top of that, the organizer (a chick from my class who now has an event planning company) appears to be making a profit on the undertaking, which I find irritating. Anyway, I encounter way more former classmates than I would like to in the course of my day-to-day existence. Did I ever mention I ran into my prom date on a preschool field trip? Turns out he lives a few miles away.

At this point, I’ve pretty much decided to skip it. But it’s causing me some anxiety. For some reason, I keep thinking I’ll regret it down the road. There are, in fact, a few people I wouldn’t mind seeing. I also happen to look way better at 38 than I did in high school. Not that I have anything to prove or anyone to prove it to. But still...

Some girlfriends have discussed an alternative mini-reunion potluck thing, which it looks like we may be doing instead. But these are people I see anyway so won’t be the same. I mean, the random encounters and unexpected conversations are what make an event like this interesting—right? What’s a cash-strapped reformed geek-girl to do?

1 comment:

Kris10 said...

I attended the Loudoun Valley HS reunion (even though I didn't officially graduate from there) - It was nice to be invited and I did spend most of my young life (elem.-middle school/9th grade) with these folks. And of course, there are the Friendships I have maintained since 9th grade. Our tix were only $60 + cash bar at a hotel in Ashburn ( a lot cheaper than yours). So what the heck we went and I had a blast - people actually remembered me - which was my biggest fear.
Now, on the other hand I have not attended any reunions for Jefferson. There are a lot of friends I am still in touch with (at a distance) and to be honest I like the "mystery" aspect of it all. Funny story...someone ran into a friend I am still in touch with and asked about me because, they had recently "Googled" Kristen Keating and saw that I had attended Harvard and was an accomplished rower. I'm still laughing. My friend (who knew where I went to college and knew the closest I came to rowing was skinny dipping in a lake while on tour w/ the Dead) just nodded and said she's doing great. So being mysterious is a good thing and keep them guessing. Fortunately for me Google worked in my favor - can you imagine if it listed me as the skinny dipper from the Summer '95 Dead Tour???