Thursday, April 16, 2009

Circadian Rhythms and Blog Block Blues

Unbelievable. A moment of calm in the afternoon. Those have been few and far between lately, mostly because of an earth-shattering shift in....nap schedules. A few months ago we reached the end of a golden era of sack time. It was truly bliss there for a while. Coco was taking two naps a day: one in the morning (usually coinciding with Hank’s preschool) and another in the afternoon, at which time the boy could generally be counted on for a snooze. This left two glorious windows of opportunity for creativity, unencumbered housework or plain old rest. Everything changed, however, when mademoiselle gave up her morning nap and moved toward a single long sleep in the middle of the day. Hank, meanwhile was getting more and more resistant to the whole idea, and eventually the carrying-on became so intense that I abandoned it all together. This has pretty much left me with no time to myself during the day. By the time everyone’s in bed at night, I’m done. I’ve tried getting up at the crack of dawn but found myself running up against Christian’s early bird surfing of sites dedicated to firearms, motor vehicles and conservative commentary.

All this is to explain my recent shameful delinquency in frivolous ranting. I have had a few interesting thoughts (honestly). There have certainly been a few subjects on which I’ve intended to post (I mean the Carla/Michelle fashion smackdown--how could I have missed that one?). I just couldn’t muster the mental energy.

Anyway, it’s been a pretty dismal spring here in our little corner of the Blue Ridge, rainy and cold. The sun has finally decided to make an appearance, and I’m praying we’ll get a few pleasant days before the temperature hits the high nineties and the deer ticks start proliferating. With only a month and a half left of preschool for this year, I’m starting to think about summer and how I’m going to get my kids out of the house for a few hours while spending as little cash as possible. Have a feeling I’ll be left with no choice but to appeal to the grandmothers. This presents another set of complications entirely, which I’ll reserve for a future post. Be sure to check back in 2-3 weeks.

No comments: