Monday, July 14, 2008

French Reflections

Well, it’s Bastille Day here at the funny farm, and we are listening to our favorite (and, for now, only) Carla Bruni CD to mark the occasion. I don’t yet have her latest which was just released and is apparently causing quite a stir in France. We have Quelqu’un m’a dit which was a birthday gift from our dear friend Colette (little Coco’s namesake and fairy godmother) a few years ago, long before she (Carla, that is) became first lady of France. It's a fun record. Carla was big on the runways when I was living in Paris in the mid-90s. I think she was dating celeb-lawyer Arno Klarsfeld at the time. I spotted him once at Café de Flor way back when, but never ran into her at any of my eurotrash haunts...

I’m dying to get back to France. Haven’t visited since spring 2005…Nice trip, but I don’t recommend Paris while pregnant. I found it excruciating to have to abstain from all the plentiful/cheap/delicious wine and raw milk cheeses. Thank God for the amazing macarons from Pierre Hermé which provided some consolation.

No voyage in the cards for the near future, with airfares through the roof and the miserable exchange rate. So for now I’ll have to be content with Gainsbourg, Georges Brassens and France Info on iTunes and reading Maxou and Babar to the kids. Unfortunately, Henry doesn’t care much for Alouette, but I have to admit that song gives me a headache...

Anyway, we'll try to have a glass of wine in honor of the fête nationale and Henry will have to tolerate a quick rendition of La Marseillaise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's funny. Shea has been really wanting to go to France. I was there last year and brought back some yummy cookies that she can't stop thinking about. ;-)